In recent decades, agrofabric and agrofibre win leadership among the covering materials. They are of modern geotextile design, and have the increased durability and environmental friendliness. These materials are gradually replacing the film, due to their usability and versatility of application.
Why farmers switch to agro fabric and agro fibre
Until recently, in greenhouses, polyethylene film was used to shelter the plants. The material provides the desired level of warming the seedlings and humidity. But at the same time, polyethylene cuts the natural circulation of air and saturation of the soil with moisture. Therefore, plants must be regularly opened to avoid the greenhouse effect.
The use of modern agro fibre and agro fabric will help to avoid problems. These materials have several advantages over the film:
● resistant to light and precipitation;
● light and durable;
● resistant to high and low temperatures, endurable against its drops;
● environmentally friendly and hygienic;
● have high light and air access.
Agrarians in Europe have estimated the merits of the materials, and now agrofabrics are used on 30% of the area of all farms.
They produce agro fiber from PET bottles and other polymers, which are processed using a special Spunbond technology. There are two types of fibers:
1. Thermally bonded spunbond. Its density is up to 150 g / m2 and it is considered the most flexible.
2. Needle punched spunbond. Its density is more than 150 g / m2.
Agro fabrics have the excellent technical characteristics, which makes the materials in demand for farmers:
● Agro fiber is not subject to corrosion and rotting. It prevents the growth of fungus and other micro organisms on the surface;
● has a low specific weight, but at the same time durable and wear-resistant;
● material properties do not change when exposed to low and high temperatures. They are able to withstand –55 to + 130 ° С;
● ecologically safe;
● creates optimal conditions for the plant growth and development, does not absorb moisture;
● protects against ultraviolet rays, provides an adequate level of light and air;
● eliminates exposure to rodents, insects, birds.
Spunbond can also be used as packaging material. It is suitable for storing products and harvest. The material serves as a limiter and protection for the roots of trees and shrubs.
Agro fiber’s strength is affected by the specific weight indicator. Density ranges from 10 g / m2 to 60 g / m2. Agrofabric has a different manufacturing technology and its rate is more than 60 g / m2.
The service life of the material – 3-7 years. It is easy to clean and washable. Available in various colors. Color affects the light transmittance of the spunbond.
Black agro fiber is used to retain moisture in the soil and as a mulch layer. It perfectly protects the roots from temperature extremes and overheating.
White spunbond serves as a heater for seedlings and saplings of trees.