The effectiveness of mineral fertilizers depends on a number of factors: their quality, characteristics of transportation, use, and storage. Compliance with the rules for each item will help to avoid additional costs and increase the effect of substances. Storage of mineral fertilizers of different types has features that must be considered.
The rules for storage of mineral fertilizers
Place mineral fertilizers in three types of storages:
● railway storage;
● nearshore storage;
● storages in farms.
Storage in open, unsuitable for these areas, leads to a deterioration in the quality of things. They become raw, the concentration of nutrients is lost.
It is allowed to place fertilizer on asphalt or concrete poured area, where the risk of rain, snow, and groundwater is excluded. In this case, the substances should be stored in bags of polyethylene, with the exception of ammonium nitrate. Have piles on pallets, covered with canvas fabric.
For storage of mineral, fertilizers are used areas of various types and sizes. When their equipment takes into account a certain capacity and annual turnover of the product.
Railway and nearshore storages have a larger capacity than premises on farms. Buildings can be made of bricks, built of reinforced concrete structures or with wooden elements. Storages should be located away from public buildings and production facilities. The distance between them is at least 200 km.
The capacity of the railroad and nearshore storage facilities is determined to take into account:
● how many farms are serviced by the premises;
● location of the storage;
● How much fertilizer is needed on average per year for serviced farms;
● minimum costs for the construction of the building;
● expenses incurred in the delivery of fertilizers.
The annual turnover rate depends on zonal conditions.
Requirements for storages of mineral fertilizers:
● elimination of the risk of rain, snow, groundwater on substances;
● elimination of drafts, high humidity. An optimal microclimate must be created in order to maintain the effectiveness of the substances;
● ease of receiving and loading fertilizers. To do this, the passage of 3 meters is created so that the equipment can easily get to the desired section of the storage ;
● the presence of indoor floors poured concrete or asphalt.
Fertilizers are placed in special compartments, divided by types and forms. Storage for packaged and not packaged separately. The latter is located in bulk, they are equipped with portable shields.
For ammonium nitrate, due to its flammability, use isolated compartments or store in a separate area.
Dusty limy mineral fertilizers and phosphate rock are stored in railway silo-type storages.
The use of substances needs precise control. They can not be applied to the soil in autumn, winter. The ground should not be too wet.